StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Volumes not being destroyed on terminate

From: Lyn Gerner <no email>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:23:53 -0700

Here's the summary of what was going on, in case it helps anyone else:

I had dropped the -o or --create-only option on my startup of an imagehost.
 So it ran thru the full cluster setup, mounting my custom EBS device,
effectively using up the /dev/sd[f-p] device ID when I would subsequently
create a new EBS image from the updated imagehost instance. (Even though
I'd deleted the volumes associated w/those block devices, it was creating
an equal-sized empty device.) So over several AMI-building iterations, I'd
accumulated what were effectively several unneeded "phantom" /dev/sd* devs.

So, if you are attaching custom EBS volumes during your normal cluster
operations, make sure you use the -o option on your imagehost startups.

If you find you have this problem in your existing AMIs, be sure you
unmount the filesystem and then detach the volume (I did the latter from
the AWS console) before you generate a new EBS image from the imagehost.