StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Updating public AMIs to have Ubuntu 14.04? Or how to install starcluster on AWS AMI?

From: Avner May <no email>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 18:09:24 -0500

Hi all,

I have carefully followed Jennifer Staab's instructions here
<http://star.mit.edu/cluster/mlarchives/2545.html>, and things are working
great (*** THANK YOU SO MUCH JENNIFER!! ***). One small hiccup I ran into
is that at that link, one of the commands is long and is split into 2 lines
('apt-get install nfs-kernel-server nfs-common rpcbind libgssglue1
libnfsidmap2 libtirpc1 -y") -- if this is copy-pasted as 2 lines, it will
fail quietly when instance is launched, and it eventually leads to an error
starting NFS on the master (see error message below).

I also followed the instructions here
<https://github.com/BVLC/caffe/wiki/Install-Caffe-on-EC2-from-scratch-(Ubuntu,-CUDA-7,-cuDNN)>
in order to install NVIDIA drivers and CUDA (though I installed the latest
versions, not the ones included in that post).

I would recommend including a modified version of Jennifer's instructions
directly linked from the primary StarCluster website in order to explain
how to set-up a non-StarCluster AMI to work with StarCluster. This is
super valuable information.

Now everything is working!!!
Avner

Starting NFS server on master
!!! ERROR - Error occured while running plugin
'starcluster.clustersetup.DefaultClusterSetup':
!!! ERROR - remote command 'source /etc/profile && /etc/init.d/nfs
!!! ERROR - start' failed with status 127:
!!! ERROR - bash: /etc/init.d/nfs: No such file or directory