StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: advice about using starcluster with ubuntu 14.04

From: Jennifer Staab <no email>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 15:38:03 -0500

Here's some help with creating an Ubuntu 14.04 AMI that works as a
Starcluster node(master/worker). Below are directions for creating your
own Ubuntu 14.04 LTS AMI. I didn't create a public AMI because I didn't
want to step on the toes of the developers and I didn't want to be
responsible for sanitizing private information off of an AMI that is
made publically available. I also give the disclaimer that these
directions "appear" to work to fix all issues with NFS and portmapper --
but I only did light testing (e.g. start/terminate clusters and add &
remove nodes - SGE & NFS seem to work as they should). Also the fixes I
mention below I collected based on my own experience and others
contributions to the mailing list.

The portmapper issue isn't how I solved the issue on the version of
Starcluster that I use in production because I don't have a problem
editing to make the fix because there are some other tweaks I also edit
the code for (like adding new C4 instance types in). That said it seems
that the fix that creates a file /etc/init.d/portmap with "exit 0" seems
to work -- my guess is the calls to portmap aren't really needed. The
initial part of the script runs update and installs updates to the
distribution, then it installs nfs-server and copies the init.d file to
nfs as it is called by Starcluster scripts. Python is installed and
then SGE is downloaded, unzipped and renamed to /sge6-fresh so
Starcluster scripts work as advertised.

How to make your own Ubuntu 14.04 LTS AMI:
---------------------------------------
1) Find your AMI look here <http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/locator/ec2/>
for all Ubuntu 14.04 LTS AMIs for your region -- grab the AMI ID for my
example I used AMI ID: ami-36f8b15e -- its us-east-1, 14.04LTS, 64bit,
ebs-ssd
      -- make sure to select and EBS backed EC2 AMI (not instance-store)

2) a) Login to AWS Console -- click on "launch an instance"
     b) select "Community AMIs" and put the AMI id from step one in to
find it (here I used "ami-36f8b15e"), once it is found
         click "Select"
     c) Select instance type you want (choose something small because we
are just creating an AMI to use) - click NEXT
     d) For "configure instance details" section -- make sure the
instance is placed in your default VPC -- just so you CAN access it if
         need be
     e) Under the "Advanced Details" section click the triangle/arrow so
that it expands. Paste in the following in the "User data" section. It
         runs the bash script that will install needed packages for
making Starcluster work along with fixing issues with NFS and portmapper.
         This ASSUMES you are not using the StarCluster master node as
StarCluster "master" AND StarCluster "controller". If you want to do
         this add "easy_install StarCluster" (no quotes included) after
the last line "chmod +x /etc/init.d/portmap". Adding this line will
         install StarCluster on the EC2 you are launching. After you
have pasted in the script in "User data" - click NEXT
#!/bin/bash
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade -y
apt-get install nfs-kernel-server nfs-common rpcbind libgssglue1
libnfsidmap2 libtirpc1 -y
cp /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server /etc/init.d/nfs
apt-get install sysv-rc-conf -y
sysv-rc-conf nfs on
/etc/init.d/nfs restart
apt-get install python-setuptools python-dev -y
cd /opt/
wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47200624/respin/ge2011.11.tar.gz
gunzip < ge2011.11.tar.gz | tar xvf -
mv ge2011.11/ sge6-fresh/
cd /
echo 'exit 0' > /etc/init.d/portmap
chmod +x /etc/init.d/portmap

     f) Click Next - so that you are in the "Tag Instance" section and
Name your instance. I used "Ubuntu 14.04 Starcluster ready"
     g) Click Next - so you are in "Configure Security Group" section --
here either select a pre-existing Security Group that you can
         SSH into -- OR -- Create a new security group that allows you
to SSH into it from "My IP" (which is your IP).
     h) Click Review and Launch
     i) Click Launch
     j) Select an existing Keypair you have access too (so you can SSH
into the instance) and click the check box and click "Launch
         Instances" OR create a new keypair, download that keypair and
then click "Launch Instances".

3) Wait about 5-10 minutes and "Status Checks" should change from
"Initializing" to " 2/2 checks passed" -- You can login to the instance
and make sure issuing the command
      "sudo vi /etc/init.d/portmap" opens the file and shows the command
"exit 0". This means the script completed and you can logout.

4) Stop the running instance by selecting "Actions - Instance State - Stop"

5) Select "Actions - Image - Create Image" to create the AMI -- name it
something like "Ubuntu 14.04 Starcluster node AMI" and then select
"Create Image" You will see "Create Image request received. View
pending image ami-XXXX" note that AMI ID -- and that's the AMI ID you
will use to create your Ubuntu 14.04 Starcluster master and worker nodes.

6) Once the AMI ID ami-XXXX - has Status "available" you can terminate
the EC2 Instance we launched with the User data script because it is no
longer needed. Use that AMI ID ami-XXXX in
      the StarCluster config file AND/OR when you want to launch master
and worker nodes that are Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Potential Issues:
---------------
Step 1: DON'T choose "instance store" -- this isn't an EBS backed EC2 so
when it is stopped all adjustments to OS are lost. Use something that
says "ebs" in the instance type.
      ebs = magnetic disk, ebs-ssd = the general purpose ssd storage,
ebs-ios = the Provisioned IOPS ssd storage.
Step 3: WAIT at least 5-10 minutes before stopping the EC2 Instance --
also it is really good idea to login to the EC2 and check that
/etc/init.d/portmap says "exit 0" so you
      know that the script ran.
Virtualization type issue -- Specifically your AMI is PV or HVM and you
need the other type.
     1) Go to Snapshots -- locate snapshot of AMI ID ami-XXX - note the
"Description" has AMI ID in its text. Select that snapshot.
     2) Select "Actions - Create Image" -- note in "Virtualization type"
section you can select "Paravirtual" or "Hardware-assisted
virtualization" -- so select virtualization type you
         need, Name the AMI, and select the other features you want then
click "Create". This creates the AMI of the opposite virtualization type
without any hassle. Using the
         snapshot to create and AMI of the virualization of your choice
is WAY EASIER than the method I had used previously.

Good Luck!
-Jennifer