StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: EFS on starcluster?

From: Eduardo Gurgel Valente <no email>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 16:55:46 -0400

Fellow Starcluster and other HPC tech users,

I am hoping Amazon will allow EFS within the new regions very soon. EFS
will be critical for cost savings with some of the customers I support.
Indeed we are using Starcluster with some changes of our own to support
multiple EBS volumes.

I also voice my concern for the Starcluster project as a whole given its
decentralized feature and bug improvement. It would be great if MIT took
the reigns again to bring the latest and greatest user improvements into
one coalesced v1.0.

Just adding my voice to the choir as they say.

Eduardo

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 4:28 PM, Robert Yu <robert.yu_at_aditazz.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
> I would like to learn from your experience with EFS + starcluster. Much
> appreciated!
> -Robert
>
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Lilley, John F. <johnbot_at_caltech.edu>
> wrote:
>

>> I've been playing around with EFS for 2 weeks now and can say the IO
>> performance is excellent, much better than a single SSD EBS volume. Luckily
>> we run most of our hpc infrastructure in us-west-2 (Oregon) where EFS is
>> available and so have begun trying to get cfn-cluster
>> <https://github.com/awslabs/cfncluster> and elasticluster
>> <https://github.com/gc3-uzh-ch/elasticluster> to use it through
>> pre/post-install scripts.
>>

>> I'll report back anything of interest.
>>

>> John

>>> 2000 Sierra Point Parkway, 12th Floor | Brisbane | CA 94005
>>> 510.459.0216 | cell
>>> 650.627.7357 | 650.492.7000 x1008 | work