StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Load balancing on master

From: Jennifer Staab <no email>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 04:09:27 -0500

Sorry it took me a while to get to this. I haven't run ELB on the
master node per say but I have made one of my master nodes also act as
my StarCluster controller so in theory if I called the "starcluster
loadbalance" command it would work from that master node (who is also
acting as the StarCluster controller). Below are directions for making a
Master node into your StarCluster controller -- my guess is if you do
that then you can also call ELB on that master node.

Directions:
1) Take an AMI of the environment (let's call it AMI XYZ) you would like
to use as the master node WITH StarCluster loaded in this environment
(OR use a public AMI's that already has StarCluster loaded on it). **Be
certain to configure the StarCluster config file in this AMI with the
correct amazon account information and the create the keypairs you will
need for StarCluster.
2) Launch an EC2 using AMI XYZ and use this EC2 to create a single
StarCluster Master Node using the SAME AMI (AMI XYZ).
3) Attach an elastic IP to this Master Node and use it to login to this
Master Node. Once you are logged in call the "starcluster listclusters"
command -- you should see the Master Node you just created.
4) Terminate the first EC2 you created to launch this Master Node ONLY
IF you were able to successfully call "starcluster listclusters" and
other commands from your Master Node. If not, then something went wrong
and you can use the first EC2 to terminate the master node you created.

Note there are better and perhaps more secure ways to set things up than
use an elastic IP on your master node in the VPC -- but this is the
easiest way to explain the process. If calling "starcluster
listclusters" on your master node doesn't work -- make sure you config
is identical (in AWS account information and keypairs) to the one that
you used on the EC2 that launched the master node.

Good Luck!
-Jennifer