StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: request of new features of starcluster

From: Jian Feng <no email>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 09:35:07 -0800

Hi Rayson and Ramon,

Thanks for the clarifications and comments!

Sorry for replying late -- was stuck in some production issues.

I understand that starcluster uses security group as the cluster
identification so that it knows which ec2 instances belongs to which
cluster. This is totally fine and I couldn't find any better way to ID the
cluster instances. What I was proposing is to decouple the
(creation/deletion) of cluster instances and the security group. It still
holds that there is at most one cluster using any specific security group.
The only difference is that the security group won't be deleted when we
terminate a cluster, and it won't (or does not need to) be created when we
create a cluster.

But on the other hand, your idea to assign two security groups can solve my
problem too. I just did not know we can assign multiple sg to an instance.
(I did not see this functionality in the UI.) I guess we can only do this
programmatically? Could you or anyone please elaborate how this is done?

Thanks!