StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

StarCluster with AWS IAM Role

From: Kristy Choi <no email>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 10:03:51 -0400

Hello!

First of all thank you for your work on StarCluster -- we're planning to
switch to AWS very soon, and your program is making the transition a lot
easier.

I just had a quick question about configuring user permissions via
StarCluster. We're looking for a way to adjust settings so that every user
who launches/logs on to one of our EC2 instances will automatically have
access to files uploaded in our S3 buckets. This propagation of the root's
permissions will make it so that we won't have to install and configure the
AWS command line interface with our access keys/passwords every single
time.

Amazon details a potential solution with IAM Roles in the link below, but
the process is quite cumbersome:

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/iam-roles-for-amazon-ec2.html

I was wondering if there was a better way to do this in StarCluster -- any
advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time!

Kristy