StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

(no subject)

From: Michael Shamberger <no email>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:05:00 +0200

Hi,

To introduce myself, I am a University of Cincinnati engineering graduate
and will start my masters at Georgia Tech in HPC in the Spring after 15
years of IT work.

I am trying to see if there is interest in the following capabilities for
StarCluster.

- User interface - I am planning to open source a django user interface for
StarCluster in early January. It will have a python based API and also
provide the capability of dynamically launching web facing applications
with starcluster providing the compute behind them.

- Google Compute Engine - If you are not aware, GCE has launched a
competitor service to Amazon (
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/12/03/google_compute_engine_launches/).
 The offering is interesting because they charge by the minute after ten
minutes intead of 1 hour and reviews say instances come up faster. This
could potentially make your workload cheaper then even Amazon spot pricing.
 I would like to hear opinions/ideas on the best way of enabling GCE to be
a backend cloud option to StarCluster. A fork of the boto package could do
the job. There was already a rejected pull request last year to add GCE
capability to boto.

- private cloud - Run StarCluster bare metal on own hardware with
cloudburst capability.

- Software plugins - I am developing docker based MKL compiled software
plugins for various HPC software stacks (SciPy, R, Bioperl, OpenFoam, etc)
to run on top of grid workers and also plan to release those as open
source. These packages can be notoriusly hard to compile and install
correctly.

Please reply to this email or send mail to me directly.

Thanks,
Michael Shamberger