StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: use of cr1.8xlarge instances

From: C. Titus Brown <no email>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 20:43:52 -0700

On Sat, Jul 06, 2013 at 12:41:23AM -0300, Sergio Mafra wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> Despite the limit of 20 running instances per account, MIT StarCluster does
> not allow me to provision more than 2 instances in on demand mode. If use
> them as spot, it?s OK.
>
> Can you tell me why this?
>
> All the best,
>
> Sergio

Sergio,

when running classes with bigmem instances, I've run into what seem
to be hard limits -- perhaps actual physical limits? :) -- to what
AWS will grant in a particular zone. Perhaps that's what's going on
here.

I'm betting that the spot instances provide them with more flexibility in some
way, so they are more willing to provision big instances as those. But that's
a guess.

--titus
--
C. Titus Brown, ctb_at_msu.edu