StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

ERROR - "createvolume" failure due to missing AMI in eu-west zone

From: Joseph <Kyeong>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 16:41:03 +0000

Dear All,

This is to report the said failure of "createvolume" in the eu-west zone.

Per the starcluster documentation, I have set environment variable and
configuration file as follows:

* Environment variable
EC2_URL=https://ec2.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com

* Configuration file
[aws_info]
AWS_REGION_NAME = eu-west-1
AWS_REGION_HOS = ec2.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com

[cluster smallcluster]
# AMI for cluster nodes.
# US region
# - The base i386 StarCluster AMI is ami-d1c42db8
# - The base x86_64 StarCluster AMI is ami-a5c42dcc
# EU region
# - The base i386 StarCluster AMI is ami-a4d7fdd0
# - The base x86_64 StarCluster AMI is ami-38d5ff4c
NODE_IMAGE_ID = ami-a4d7fdd0
NODE_INSTANCE_TYPE = m1.small

Because the default AMIs suggested in the template (i.e., "ami-d1c42db8" and
"ami-a5c42dcc") are not available in the eu-west region, I changed it to one
available (based on "listpublic" command). Then, I got the following error
when trying to create a volume:
~$ starcluster createvolume 30 eu-west-1a
StarCluster - (http://web.mit.edu/starcluster)
Software Tools for Academics and Researchers (STAR)
Please submit bug reports to starcluster_at_mit.edu

cli.py:1079 - ERROR - AMI ami-d1c42db8 does not exist

It seems that the setting of NODE_IMAGE_ID has no impact on the AMI used for
volume creation.

With Regards,
Joseph
--