StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: [Starcluster] Availability zone eu-west-1b

From: Joachim Van den Bogaert <no email>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 23:00:44 +0200

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the reply. We eventually worked out the problem ourselves, in the
way you described.

I don't know whether the list accepts pdf's, but I added a schematic which
shows you how to migrate
a us StarCluster instance store AMI to a eu EBS AMI.

Maybe I can write a howto for us to eu migration, if you are interested,
because there were some minor issues:

I had to look for a suitable kernel and ramdisk (since they are zone-bound).
I also had to reconfigure the /etc/apt/sources.list in order to get access
to the ubuntu repositories in
the eu zone.

How do I join the list?

Here is my output with an EBS AMI :-)

Greetz,

Joachim

joachim_at_tm1:~$ starcluster start smallcluster
StarCluster - (http://web.mit.edu/starcluster)
Software Tools for Academics and Researchers (STAR)
Please submit bug reports to starcluster_at_mit.edu

>>> Using default cluster template: smallcluster
>>> Validating cluster template settings...
>>> Cluster template settings are valid
>>> Starting cluster...
>>> Launching a 2-node cluster...
>>> Launching master node...
>>> Master AMI: ami-xxxxxxxx
>>> Creating security group _at_sc-masters...
>>> Creating security group _at_sc-smallcluster...
Reservation:r-xxxxxxxx
>>> Launching worker nodes...
>>> Node AMI: ami-xxxxxxxx
Reservation:r-xxxxxxxx
>>> Waiting for cluster to start...->>> The master node is xxx.amazonaws.com
>>> Setting up the cluster...
ssh.py:77 - WARNING - specified key does not end in either rsa or dsa,
trying both
>>> Using private key xxx.pem (rsa)

>>> Creating cluster user: sgeadmin
ssh.py:77 - WARNING - specified key does not end in either rsa or dsa,
trying both
>>> Using private key xxx.pem (rsa)
>>> Configuring scratch space for user: sgeadmin
>>> Configuring /etc/hosts on each node
>>> Configuring NFS...
>>> Configuring passwordless ssh for root
>>> Configuring passwordless ssh for user: sgeadmin
>>> Generating local RSA ssh keys for user: sgeadmin
>>> Installing Sun Grid Engine...
>>> Done Configuring Sun Grid Engine

The cluster has been started and configured.

Login to the master node as root by running:

    $ starcluster sshmaster smallcluster

or manually as sgeadmin:

    $ ssh -i xxx.pem sgeadmin_at_xxx.amazonaws.com

When you are finished using the cluster, run:

    $ starcluster stop smallcluster

to shutdown the cluster and stop paying for service