StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Is StarCluster still under active development?

From: Tony Robinson <no email>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 03:17:28 +0100

I'm mostly there with my loadbalancer, so I thought that it would be
worth a write up for those that are interested.

Just to restate my aims, I have a lot of jobs with duration of about 90s
and these are very bursty. So I can easily have 400 jobs queued to run
and *not* want to bring up any new nodes. I've somewhat arbitrarily
picked 240s as the maximum time I want any job to wait before running.

The first thing I needed to do was to reduce the poll time. As my jobs
take about 90s I need to poll much more frequent than that (basic
sampling theorem) - I picked 30s although I am tempted to reduce this.

So the first improvement was to make the polling time a real polling
time, not a wait time. This is just setting a timer at the start of
the polling loop and sleeping for the appropriate time at the end.

Also, to speed things up I eliminated all settle time. We already know
how many nodes are up and how many jobs are running, so it was a simple
matter to assume that the difference would run soon and ignore these at
the start of the job queue.

As noted earlier in the thread, the existing code doesn't properly
sample the past job durations, so I simply reload the whole
lookback_window (default 3 hours) every time. It doesn't take long and
if speed were an issue then there's lots of code that changes between
date formats that could be integers on reading.

I also read the job name. This allows me to calculate the mean and
variance of each job type. I am estimating the job duration as mean +
0.5 * sqrt(var / njob), so as I get hundreds of jobs it's pretty much
the mean.

With all of this in place I can estimate how long it's going to take to
run the queue. At the moment I'm ignoring the timings of running jobs
and assuming queued jobs come from the same distribution, so the time
taken to run is the job duration (calculated above) divided by the
number of slots available. I know the how long each job has been
waiting and how long I expect each job to wait, so I can see if any job
would increase my maximum job wait time. If it does, I assume that
I've got another node up instantly (clearly false, they take more than
my 240s to come up) and rerun the calculation until I know how many
nodes I need to add. In practice, it takes so long to boot nodes that
there's no point trying to bring more than 2 or 4 up. This is because
they come up serially, all of this will change when I update startcluster.

The other important change is to always load the most loaded machine,
with a slight preference for low node numbers when all are empty (so
that master gets loaded). This is really important with such variable
load you've got to bring nodes down at the end of the hour and so need
as many that are empty as possible.

algorithm default
schedule_interval 0:0:05
maxujobs 0
queue_sort_method load
job_load_adjustments np_load_avg=0.50
load_adjustment_decay_time 0:7:30
load_formula host_rank-load_short*256

So that's about it. Just recently I had 496 slots running, the above
algorithm brought up just enough nodes to cope with the load and brought
some of them down 15 mins later when the load decreased.

Overall we've doubled our efficiency using this algorithm, that is we
can provide the same quality service at half the variable cost.

The code is not in a state to be shared publicly, but I'm happy to share
privately. It really needs a starcluster upgrade (thanks Mich for the
email) so that nodes can be brought up in parallel, we should do this
shortly and then I'll work on this some more.

Tony //