StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

request of new features of starcluster

From: Jian Feng <no email>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 12:52:45 -0800

Dear StarCluster devs,

As a loyal starcluster user, I am wondering if it's ok for me to submit a
feature request to meet needs of more people and businesses. I'd like to
see

1. security group separated from cluster creation. In AWS the sg and
instances are two totally independent things. Security group and live
without any instances. This is convenient because we'd like to reuse the
security group for different clusters. This is especially true when we need
to fine tune the security rules for different type of work. In my case, I
need my starcluster cluster to access the production cluster data. So I
will have to change the production security group rules every time I create
a new star cluster. This is not efficient and not easy to be fully
automated.
  It's totally fine to keep the current setting but give people an option
to reuse an existing security group.

2. local ebs disk storage for each node. I see a great amount applications
have this needs. This is crucial for any distributed persistent data
storage.

I understand that starcluster is open source so people can tailor it to
their own needs. The thing is some functionalities can help people to
improve productivity a lot so they might be worth adding.

Thanks!