StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Are heterogeneous clusters possible in StarCluster?

From: Jennifer Staab <no email>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 12:35:44 -0500

I am not sure exactly what you are trying to do regarding a single
cluster. But in my experience the setup of the "master" node is
propagated to the worker nodes. I would set the master as I wanted and
then add "workers" that had different attributes ( different AMI's and
EC2 types, could be spots and/or on-demand). The workers always
inherited attributes from the master node, specifically NFS volumes from
the master were always shared amongst the workers ( this included other
EBS volumes I had mounted using Starcluster config file). When you
submit the "starcluster addnode" command you just have to make sure you
specify the attributes(AMI, instance type, spot/on-demand, etc.) you
want for the added nodes.

In my experience, the added worker nodes have all their resources
dedicated to the SGE queue(s). You would use "qconf" command to adjust
how you want things set up regarding each added node and how you want to
set up your queues. One good thing about this setup is you can have your
master as an on-demand or reserved instance and your workers as spot
instances (bid with cheaper hourly rates). This way jobs running on
spots that are terminated (due to bid pricing) are just resubmitted back
to the queue as long as you issue the resubmit option in your qsub calls.

One word of caution is that I didn't mixing and match on OS type or
virtualization type (PV, HVM) within a single cluster. My thought was
that there might be underlying incompatibilities in the systems such
that the propagation of attributes from master to worker nodes might not
work seamlessly.

Good Luck.

-Jennifer