StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: cluster creation best practice

From: Ramon Ramirez-Linan <no email>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 14:49:17 -0500

Jennifer,

Thanks for your answer although I was aware of all those limits and in fact
we requested the limit increased a while ago.

My question was more about how to check if AWS has the resources that I
need before asking StartCluster to start creating the cluster.

If I need a 300 nodes cluster and it fails after 250 due to AWS not having
enough availability of an instance type, I will still have to pay for the
250 nodes for at least an hour.
After the 250 nodes have been created I have the option of keep trying to
add more nodes to complete to 300 but I think to optimize the cost it would
be better if I have a way of knowing in advance if AWS is going to have 300
EC2 for me.

PS: I am an AWS Solutions Architect and my company is an APN and reseller
partner.