StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Can job terminate its cluster?

From: James <no email>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 14:58:00 -0700

Hi,

I have a question which doesn't seem to be addressed in the
documentation, or on this list. It seems that from the
examples, Starcluster expects a bunch of human interaction,
manually creating a cluster, submitting jobs, then terminating
the cluster. I need an essentially batch system: the user starts
a job which creates a cluster (internal info determines how large
a cluster is needed); it runs unattended for hours/days (periodically
checkpointing itself); then when it finishes it copies results to
an EBS volume, sends an email message to the user, and terminates
the cluster.

1) Will Starcluster allow me to do this easily? If so, a pointer
to docs/examples would be appreciated!

2) If not, is there some other application that will do this, so I
don't have to re-invent the wheel?

3) Or do I have to build my own wheel from scratch?

Thanks,
James