StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Parallelization of MPI application with Star Cluster

From: Torstein Fjermestad <no email>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 19:42:06 +0200

Dear Rayson,

thank you for your fast and informative reply. I have been studying the AWS
and the starcluster documentation, and as far as I have understood VPC and
the placement group are set up automatically. From the management console I
see that all instances are in the same placement group and have the same
VPC ID.

The instance types I am running are the following:

c3.large for the master node
c3.4xlarge for the two slave nodes

Today I redid the scaling test, and when adding the two c3.4xlarge nodes, I
specified explicitly that they should be based on the HVM-EBS
image (by using the -i option to addnode). I think I forgot to do this
yesterday.
The results for 2, 4, 8, and 16 processors are now much better:

  # proc CPU time wall time 2 7m45.70s 8m19.11s 4 3m28.29s 3m22.40s 8
2m22.33s 2m18.33s 16 1m18.18s 1m20.59s 32 1m 0.05s 3m 8.53s
The exception is the result for 32 processors where again the difference
between the wall time and CPU time is large. Does anyone have any
suggestions as to what might be causing the bad performance for the
calculation on 32 processors?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Torstein Fjermestad