StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Starcluster stuck during setup

From: Rayson Ho <no email>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 19:42:03 -0400

If you really have a slow connection, you may consider bootstrapping
StarCluster on AWS - ie. configure an m1.small (or even t1.micro) and
install StarCluster on that node. In fact, there's a CloudFormation
template for that:
http://aws.typepad.com/aws/2012/06/ec2-spot-instance-updates-auto-scaling-and-cloudformation-integration-new-sample-app-1.html
. On the other hand, it's way easier to do it by hand and just launch
an instance from the standard Ubuntu AMI, and then install StarCluster
on that instance.

And like others mentioned, most large StarClusters are launched by
first starting a small cluster, and then grow it dynamically. You
should be able to run the addnode command from your qmaster node
provided that you have StarCluster setup there (note that your AWS key
will be on the EC2 instance so it is slightly more risky if security
is the main concern).

Rayson

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/
http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/GridEngine/GridEngineCloud.html