StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: starcluster on eucalyptus

From: Rayson Ho <no email>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 23:45:06 -0400

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 8:54 PM, Andrea Zonca <zonca_at_sdsc.edu> wrote:
> Also, I would like to be able to debug what is going on with the
> python debugger, however the CLI wraps everything and debugging is
> useless, is there a way of doing that?

At AWS Summit 2013 NYC I talk to an Eucalyptus engineer who said that
they offer full AWS compatibility for the stuff I use & care (ie. EC2,
S3, Autoscaling, etc). So it seems like a bug if the same code works
on EC2 but not on Eucalyptus.

To narrow the problem down to the boto -> AWS REST API level, you need
to turn "debug" on:

http://boto.readthedocs.org/en/latest/boto_config_tut.html

After that, you should be able to get enough data about the boto
authorize_security_group() API (which is called by boto's authorize()
API), and then by comparing the AuthorizeSecurityGroupIngress call at
the REST API level, you can tell if the correct parameters are passed
to the Eucalyptus API endpoint:

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/APIReference/ApiReference-query-AuthorizeSecurityGroupIngress.html

It would be great if StarCluster works perfectly on Eucalyptus, but
then most of the people I talk to these days are using EC2 or AWS (and
I still have on my ToDo list to test newer versions of StarCluster on
OpenStack based clouds, such as HP Cloud & Rackspace Cloud).

Rayson

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/
http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/GridEngine/GridEngineCloud.html