StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: ERROR - invalid node_instance_type specified

From: Justin Riley <no email>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:21:59 -0500

Hi Chris,

You should upgrade to the latest stable version 0.94.3 - it appears
you're using 0.93.3. Also, the error you're getting about HVM is stating
you need to use an HVM-compatible AMI. StarCluster has HVM-compatible
AMIs and you can see them using the 'listpublic' command, e.g.:

$ starcluster -r us-east-1 listpublic
StarCluster - (http://star.mit.edu/cluster) (v. 0.94.3)
Software Tools for Academics and Researchers (STAR)
Please submit bug reports to starcluster_at_mit.edu

>>> Listing all public StarCluster images...

64bit Images:
--------------
[0] ami-52a0c53b us-east-1 starcluster-base-ubuntu-12.04-x86_64-hvm (HVM-EBS)

Specifically the images that are listed with (HVM-EBS) are
HVM-compatible. You can either update node_image_id in your config or
override the node_image_id at command line using the -n option to the
start command and then you should be able to launch a cc2.8xlarge
cluster.

Concerning the c3 types - these types are currently not available. I'm
going to push a new 0.95 release soon with support for the g2 and c3
instance types as well as VPC support and more. Stay tuned.

Thanks,

~Justin