StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

ERROR - invalid node_instance_type specified

From: Butson, Christopher <no email>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 17:31:57 +0000

I've been using StarCluster with EC2 off and on for a while with good success. However, recently I tried to start my cluster with my standard instance type (cc2.8xlarge) and received a message that my AMI does not have HVM (got to love the alphabet soup that Amazon has created!). Strange. So in poking around I discovered that cc2.8xlarge is "Previous Generation" and that there are new instance types in the "Current Generation". So I tried switching to a c3.8xlarge and immediately received the following message (below). It appears that this instance type is not valid, but I don't know why. Is this because of StarCluster, the AMI I am using or some other reason? Thanks for any thoughts.

Chris

local% starcluster start mycluster
StarCluster - (http://web.mit.edu/starcluster) (v. 0.93.3)
Software Tools for Academics and Researchers (STAR)
Please submit bug reports to starcluster_at_mit.edu

!!! ERROR - invalid node_instance_type specified: 'c3.8xlarge'
must be one of: cg1.4xlarge, c1.xlarge, m1.small, c1.medium, m2.xlarge, t1.micro, cc1.4xlarge, m1.medium, cc2.8xlarge, m1.large, m1.xlarge, m2.4xlarge, m2.2xlarge

Christopher R. Butson, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Biotechnology & Bioengineering Center
Departments of Neurology, Neurosurgery, Psychiatry & Behavioral Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
(414) 955-2678
cbutson_at_mcw.edu<mailto:cbutson_at_mcw.edu>