StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Windows AMIs as cluster nodes?

From: Giovanni <no email>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 15:42:31 -0500

Hello,

I have recently started looking at AWS for our parallel/distributed
processing needs and came across Starcluster and would very much like to
use it. However, we are a Windows shop and do our processing on Windows
machines.

I've installed Starcluster on Win 7 and have run the demo smoothly.

The big question now - is it feasible to create a Windows AMI that
Starcluster can use and build a cluster with? And if so, what does the
Windows AMI need? I've gotten as far as creating a Windows instance with
passwordless SSH server and the "root" user and I can get SC to connect to
it. My understanding is that I now have to configure Sun Grid Engine
queuing system (open-source edition), the network file system, and OpenMPI.
Anything else?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it doable?

Giovanni