StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Manipulating # of slots in Sun Grid Engine

From: Rajat Banerjee <no email>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 23:42:26 -0400

Hi,
Has anyone tried to manipulate the number of slots detected by SGE?

We want to manipulate the number of slots:

-- Set the ## of slots lower than the # of CPUs in the hosts for certain
periods of time, so that we could use those slots for processing other
tasks like serving web requests

-- Set the ## of slots to be double that of the # of CPUs / cores. We have
jobs bound by external API calls rather than CPU or IO bound tasks, and are
considering the poor man's version of parallelizing them. Multithreaded
jobs are not be possible yet.

We wouldn't be doing the same manipulations concurrently.
Thanks,
Rajat Banerjee