StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: instance type for StarCluster

From: Rayson Ho <no email>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 13:50:38 -0500

1. "Reserved instance" is also an on-demand instance that has a lower
per-hour cost. When Amazon calculates the monthly bill, it will
automatically apply reserved instance rates first, so you don't need
to declare which one is reserved and which one is not, and you always
get the lowest rate for the reserved instance capacity.

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/faqs/#How_is_a_Reserved_Instance_different_than_an_On-Demand_Instance

2. I think addnode can "attach nodes" different instance types to an
existing cluster - I saw the option -I "instance type for new node(s)"
for addnode, but I have not tried it myself.

http://star.mit.edu/cluster/docs/latest/manual/addremovenode.html#adding-nodes

Rayson

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/