StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: how does the loadbalancer know how much to bid for a node

From: Rajat Banerjee <no email>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 13:15:13 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------

> From: Bruce Hoff <bruce.hoff_at_sagebase.org>
> To: starcluster_at_mit.edu
> Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 09:46:11 -0700
> Subject: [StarCluster] how does the loadbalancer know how much to bid for
> a node
> Hi:
> When using spot instances and the load balancer, how the load balancer
> decide how much to bid when adding a new node?
> Thanks,
> Bruce Hoff
> Sage Bionetworks

Hi Bruce,
The loadbalancer uses cluster.add_nodes to add new nodes. I remember from
testing that it used to use the same price that you set for bids when the
cluster was created. Things have changed, but it looks like (in cluster.py)
add_nodes still uses the bid price that you specified when creating the
cluster.

The source is in:
https://github.com/jtriley/StarCluster/blob/develop/starcluster/cluster.py,
search for add_nodes