StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Spot instances

From: Fabian Boes <no email>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 21:44:52 +0200

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I have some additional questions
regarding spot instances and StarCluster.

Let's assume I start a cluster with four c1.xlarge spot instances. I
am able to split my compute jobs into really small chunks, each one
running for 5 minutes on one CPU. Now, if my spot instances go away
after a certain amount of time, hopefully lots of my small chunks are
already completed.

Has anyone experience with the qsub -r parameter to restart those jobs
affected by the spot instance shutdown?
Assuming all my initial spot instance nodes are gone, will adding new
nodes to the cluster restart the jobs?
Any idea how to (automatically) add new spot instances for a certain
price if the old ones were shut down? I assume this will not be done
automatically?

My idea is to basically let the master node run and if cheap spot
instances are available, request them, add them to the cluster and
compute until they are taken away. Then wait and repeat.

Thanks
Fabian