StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Local machine for development

From: Ron Chen <no email>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 10:14:38 -0700 (PDT)

You can download one of the OS images and run it on your local machine.

http://web.mit.edu/star/cluster/download_amis.html

Or you can use the free tier, but note that if you run CPU intensive processes,
the t1.micro instance type will slow you down by a lot.

http://aws.amazon.com/free/
http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/concepts_micro_instances.html

If I were you, I would start off with using the free tier, just to get used to
the environment (job scheduler, AWS management console, etc).  Developing code
is not CPU intensive, it is human brain intensive until the compile step.

 -Ron