StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Creating a volume from a snapshot and mounting it

From: Michael Lachmann <no email>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 18:04:26 +0100

Hi,

If I understand correctly, to use a public dataset in the amazon cloud
you create your own personal volume and mount it.
You then pay for that volume for as long as it exists. Since public
datasets can be enormous, and your pay proportional to their size, it
is good to keep them mounted for as short as possible.

So, it would be cool if you could tell Starcluster to create a volume
from a snapshot ID and mount it, and also tell it to unmount it and
delete it.
It would also be cool if in the configuration file you could say "when
this cluster starts, create a volume from this snapshot, mount it, and
when the cluster terminates, delete the volume"

I could write a plugin to do it, but I couldn't see a handle to be
called on termination of the cluster. Can I add code to be called on
termination?
Is something like this possible already?

Thanks!