StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: sge submit host question

From: Rayson Ho <no email>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 20:56:48 -0800 (PST)

Robert,

I spent some time on this this evening, and basically if you follow the steps I
listed, PLUS if you set up the security group to allow traffic to port 63231
(should be very easy if you use the Management Console), then you can have your
local machine submitting jobs to the cluster on EC2.

*However*, I recommend against this, because SGE traffic is not encrypted.

So, the best way is to use the sshmaster command to remotely execute qsub.

You might find that it is not as convenient, as for example you will need to
setup environment variables, etc on the EC2 machines. (I also did try SSH port
forwarding but the SGE protocol will simply block the connection as the qmaster
finds it weird that the source IP comes from the host on EC2, while qsub claims
that it is from your local machine.)

If you have a use case that would strongly benefit from SSH port forwarding,
please let me know.

Rayson

Open Grid Scheduler / Grid Engine
http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/