StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Issue creating a cluster of 30 nodes with starcluster

From: Paolo Di Tommaso <no email>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 10:43:38 +0100

Hi Sumita,

EBS instances are faster to boot by design. See here http://goo.gl/LOqgb

I had a problem similar to your and I've solved updating to the latest version and using EBS instances.

About your question, I'm not a StarCluster developer so I cannot say for sure, but I think it needs that all nodes are up because to configure the cluster you need to know the IP addresses of all nodes, as well as all nodes need to know the IP of the others (to set up /etc/hosts for example).

Said that, in my opinion the current bottleneck with StarCluster is that it configures nodes in a serial way, one after another (or at lest so it seems looking at benchmark result), and this create a huge problem if you want to use it to deploy large clusters (with 50 or more nodes).

Cheers,
Paolo