StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: using ipython as a cluster

From: Justin Riley <no email>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 15:14:37 -0400

Hi Jonathan,

The plugin still needs documenting but here's the basic flow:

Put the plugin in the config:

[plugin ipcluster]
setup_class = starcluster.plugins.ipcluster.IPCluster

Then put the plugin in a cluster template:

[cluster smallcluster]
plugins = ipcluster

Then start a cluster:

$ starcluster start myipcluster

If you didn't put the plugin in the default cluster template (specified
by default_template in the [global] section) you can specify the
template like so:

$ starcluster start -c smallcluster myipcluster

This will start a cluster and run the ipcluster plugin which will setup
an ipcluster session for your CLUSTER_USER (defaults to sgeadmin). Then
to use ipcluster:

$ starcluster sshmaster -u sgeadmin myipcluster
sgeadmin_at_master~ ipython
[~]> from IPython.kernel.client import MultiEngineClient
[~]> mec = MultiEngineClient()
[~]> mec.get_ids()
[0, 1]

In the above IPython session we see that we have two nodes in our
ipcluster. In general, you will have as many clients as you have nodes
in your StarCluster.

After you have a MultiEngineClient instance you can then do things like:

[~]> mec.map(lambda x: x**10, range(32)) # happens in parallel
[~]> mec.execute('d=10; print d') # executes on all nodes in parallel

For more details see:

http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/rel-0.10.2/html/parallel/parallel_multiengine.html#quick-and-easy-parallelism

HTH,

~Justin