StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: OpenMP and Sun Grid Engine

From: Damian Eads <no email>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 03:20:25 -0700

Hi Justin,

Thank you very much for your help. I meant to send a follow-up e-mail
earlier but it slipped my mind. The orte parallel environment performs
a round robin schedule by default. This causes Sun Grid Engine to
invoke the OpenMP-threaded process several times on multiple nodes.
When calling 'top', there are dozens of job processes running on each
node. The cluster becomes unresponsive to SSH requests.

To get around this, I created a new parallel environment 'smp' and
replaced $round_robin with $pe_slots.

This is achieved by typing

     $ qconf -ap smp

editing the allocation_rule field in the parallel environment
specification file,

$ qconf -mp smp

The file should look something like this:

pe_name smp
slots XXX
user_lists NONE
xuser_lists NONE
start_proc_args /bin/true
stop_proc_args /bin/true
allocation_rule $pe_slots
control_slaves FALSE
job_is_first_task TRUE
urgency_slots min
accounting_summary FALSE

where XXX is the number nodes times the number of cores per node. Then
I edit the all.1 queue specification file

$ qconf -mq

and add the parallel environment 'smp' to the 'pe_list' field.

Running qsub -pe smp 8 my-open-mp-script.sh then works smoothly. I am
just speculating but if NSLOTS does not divide evenly the number of
cores on a machine, there is a possibility a job is erroneously spread
across multiple nodes.

To attain better CPU utilization, I set the number of threads to a
number higher than the number of slots

   export OMP_NUM_THREADS=$((NSLOTS+4))

Cheers,

Damian