StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

cannot mount directories at work nodes.

From: Jianwu Wang <no email>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:33:40 -0700

Hi All,

     I'm new to StartCluster. Yet my current experience tells me it is
wonderful toolkit. Thanks for sharing it.

     I built a new AMI based on the newest starCluster AMI :
ami-a19e71c8 (x86_64). I'm trying to start a SGE cluster using this ami
and my ebs volume. The version of starCluster is version 0.91.2. But I
always cannot mount /home and other directories at worknodes. The
detailed info is as below. Please help, thank!

kepler:bin jianwu$ ./starcluster start smallcluster

StarCluster - (http://web.mit.edu/starcluster)

Software Tools for Academics and Researchers (STAR)

Please submit bug reports to starcluster_at_mit.edu

> >> Using default cluster template: smallcluster

> >> Validating cluster template settings...

cluster.py:766 - ERROR - volume vol-e7a0a18f is not available (status:
in-use)

cli.py:243 - ERROR - settings for cluster template "smallcluster" are
not valid

kepler:bin jianwu$ ./starcluster start smallcluster

StarCluster - (http://web.mit.edu/starcluster)

Software Tools for Academics and Researchers (STAR)

Please submit bug reports to starcluster_at_mit.edu

> >> Using default cluster template: smallcluster

> >> Validating cluster template settings...

> >> Cluster template settings are valid

> >> Starting cluster...

> >> Launching a 2-node cluster...

> >> Launching master node...

> >> Master AMI: ami-92ea17fb

> >> Creating security group _at_sc-smallcluster...

Reservation:r-e486a389

> >> Launching worker nodes...

> >> Node AMI: ami-92ea17fb

Reservation:r-e686a38b

> >> Waiting for cluster to start.../>>> The master node is
ec2-75-101-211-51.compute-1.amazonaws.com

> >> Attaching volume vol-e7a0a18f to master node on /dev/sdz ...

> >> Setting up the cluster...

> >> Mounting EBS volume vol-e7a0a18f on /kepler...

> >> Using private key /Users/jianwu/.starcluster/jianwu-ami-keypair.rsa
(rsa)

> >> Creating cluster user: sgeadmin

> >> Using private key /Users/jianwu/.starcluster/jianwu-ami-keypair.rsa
(rsa)

> >> Configuring scratch space for user: sgeadmin

> >> Configuring /etc/hosts on each node

> >> Configuring NFS...

ssh.py:245 - ERROR - command mount /home failed with status 32

ssh.py:245 - ERROR - command mount /opt/sge6 failed with status 32

ssh.py:245 - ERROR - command mount /kepler failed with status 32

> >> Configuring passwordless ssh for root

> >> Configuring passwordless ssh for user: sgeadmin

> >> Generating local RSA ssh keys for user: sgeadmin

> >> Installing Sun Grid Engine...

ssh.py:245 - ERROR - command /opt/sge6/util/arch failed with status 127

> >> Done Configuring Sun Grid Engine

The cluster has been started and configured.

Login to the master node as root by running:

$ starcluster sshmaster smallcluster

or manually as sgeadmin:

$ ssh -i /Users/jianwu/.starcluster/jianwu-ami-keypair.rsa
sgeadmin_at_ec2-75-101-211-51.compute-1.amazonaws.com

When you are finished using the cluster, run:

$ starcluster stop smallcluster

to shutdown the cluster and stop paying for service

--
Best wishes
Sincerely yours