StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Using starcluster as a library

From: Justin Riley <no email>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 13:46:27 -0500

Hi Jeff,

Sorry for the delay. StarCluster is indeed intended to be used as a
library in addition to an application, however, until an official 1.0
release the API is subject to change. With that said I try my best not
to change things around too drastically if I don't have.

In order to enable the logging system used in StarCluster you need to
call the configure_sc_logging() method:

from starcluster import logger
logger.configure_sc_logging()

The reason this is required is that logging is really application
specific and the logging configuration used in StarCluster is specific
to the StarCluster application (ie the starcluster command line tool).

Some folks that script against StarCluster might want to configure the
logging system in a completely different way than the StarCluster
command line application. For example they might want to change the
format of the messages, where the logs are stored by default, enable
remote logging, etc. They might even want to disable the logging
messages from StarCluster altogether or just configure them to always go
to a file rather than the screen. So by default the StarCluster logging
configuration is not enabled just by importing the library and instead
must be explicitly enabled by the application developer using the
logger.configure_sc_logging() method.

Hope that helps,

~Justin