StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Fwd: StarCluster not mounting EBS volume correctly

From: Dan Tenenbaum <no email>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 13:00:56 -0700

More info on this.
I tried passing "starcluster createvolume" an -i flag with the ami-id for
the Starcluster 32-bit image and got the same result. BTW, the message that
login had failed came up very quickly, quicker than I would expect an
instance to spin up.

Then I tried passing the ami id for my own 64-bit image based on the
starcluster image, and apparently the createvolume command expects to run
with a 32-bit AMI:

volume.py:186 - ERROR - exception thrown: EC2ResponseError: 400 Bad Request
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Response><Errors><Error><Code>InvalidParameterValue</Code><Message>The
requested instance type's architecture (i386) does not match the
architecture in the manifest for ami-6a51a503
(x86_64)</Message></Error></Errors><RequestID>ce2a77a3-866d-4213-9b34-57266f99826a</RequestID></Response>
cli.py:566 - ERROR - failed to create new volume

Also, when I do not specify an AMI id, and I then type:
starcluster stop volumecreator

I see this:
StarCluster - (http://web.mit.edu/starcluster)
Software Tools for Academics and Researchers (STAR)
Please submit bug reports to starcluster_at_mit.edu

Shutdown cluster volumecreator (y/n)? y
>>> Shutting down i-de04a5b3
>>> Shutting down i-0209a86f
>>> Shutting down i-f60eaf9b
>>> Removing cluster security group _at_sc-volumecreator

Why are three instances required just to create a volume?
Thanks
Dan