StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: [Starcluster] enlarge volume

From: Austin Godber <no email>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 16:20:55 -0400

Hi Justin, I am/was puzzled as well. But last night when I tried this
myself, step #5 caused step #6 to result in a missing superblock error
as Dan reported.

When removing and creating the partition, I deleted it, then created a
new one accepting the default start and stop values. I did not
explicitly set a partition type, though I assume (this could be false)
that the partition type would be set to Linux. I coulda messed
something up, but I tried at least twice with the same results.

The nice thing about the sfdisk command is that, as you point out, it is
non-interactive, so we all know that we are doing the exact same thing.
It is perplexing ... I chocked it up to the following statement in the
fdisk manpage:

        "There are several *fdisk programs around. Each has its
problems and strengths. Try them in the order cfdisk, fdisk, sfdisk.
(Indeed, cfdisk is a beautiful program that has strict requirements on
the partition tables it accepts, and produces high quality partition
tables. Use it if you can. fdisk is a buggy program that does fuzzy
things - usually it happens to produce reasonable results. Its single
advantage is that it has some support for BSD disk labels and other
non-DOS partition tables. Avoid it if you can. sfdisk is for hackers
only - the user interface is terrible, but it is more correct than fdisk
and more powerful than both fdisk and cfdisk. Moreover, it can be used
noninteractively.)"

As for the expandvolume command, I have only taken a look at the
VolumeCreator class and thought about it a bit. If I find the urge to
implement it I will let you know before I begin. Looking at it, I was
thinking of implementing an "expand" method along the lines its existing
"create" method.

Austin