StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

[Starcluster] Cluster with mixed NODE_INSTANCE_TYPE's

From: Hesselberth, Jay <no email>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 13:30:14 -0600

I have an application where I'm running 1000's of jobs with small memory requirements (e.g. ~500 Mb / job), but there is a periodic job that needs substantially more RAM (~8 Gb). I've been running clusters with c1.xlarge instances to maximize throughput of the small jobs, but these don't have the necessary RAM.

I was thinking it would be nice to specify clusters with mixed NODE_INSTANCE_TYPES; e.g. configuring a cluster with 4 c1.xlarge instances for throughput and 1 m2.xlarge instance to handle large RAM jobs. I don't see how this is currently possible (I'm using the experimental starcluster branch). Is a feature that is planned for the future?

Thanks,
Jay Hesselberth