StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: [Starcluster] StarCluster Saving State?

From: Austin Godber <no email>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 13:41:54 -0400

Actually, I think I may have figured it out, though I haven't tracked it
down in the code. But the scenario is this:

  * I launched a cluster named mynewcluster with the key dash-gsg-keypair.
  * I manually killed the nodes of cluster in the AWS web console and
deleted the security groups.
  * I then deleted the dash-gsg-keypair in EC2, removed it from my
config, and deleted the key from disk.
  * I then launched the same cluster but with a new keypair.

At this point the listclusters and sshmaster commands exit with an error:
$ starcluster sshmaster mynewcluster
StarCluster - (http://web.mit.edu/starcluster)
Software Tools for Academics and Researchers (STAR)
   Please submit bug reports to starcluster_at_mit.edu

   cli.py:1079 - ERROR - key dash-gsg-keypair not found in config

Now, if I add a dash-gsg-keypair to my starcluster config file,
listclusters works.

The reason I believe this is happening is because the terminated
instance is still present in my instances list, it still contains
reference to the dash-gsg-config key (as well as the security groups).

If this is really the case, then the command will start working without
error when the instance disappears.

I think this can happen to anyone and I do not believe its simply a
sideeffect of me trying to use sc as a library.

Austin