StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: [Starcluster] Getting involved in Dev

From: Justin Riley <no email>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 16:40:17 -0400

Hi Rajat,

> I am interested in getting involved in starcluster development.

Excellent, you're more than welcome to get involved.

> I actually met you, Justin, in my CS 262 (Distributed Systems) class >
with Jim Waldo when you came to visit.

Yep I remember discussing StarCluster with you guys after class, that
was fun :D

> I used starcluster in the process of building a large distribute
> system for my semester project and found it exceptionally streamlined
> and stable. Prior to coming to Harvard, I was a senior software
> engineer at LogMeIn, and have about 7 years of software engineering
> experience.

Awesome, I'm glad you found it to be stable enough to work with. I'd
also love to hear how you used it for your semester project some time.

> The project that sounds especially interesting to me is *Dynamic Load
> Balancing.

Indeed, this is the big ticket item and I'd be more than happy to have
help writing this code. There are two commands that need to be created
before we can really dive into load-balancing: addnode, removenode.
These commands should take an existing cluster tag name as an argument
and automate the process or requesting a new instance, adding users,
setting up NFS, configuring passwordless-ssh, adding the node to the Sun
Grid Engine queue, etc. The remove node does the reverse operation. Once
these commands have been implemented it should be possible to create a
starcluster daemon that periodically runs qstat (and family) on the
cluster and determines whether a node can/should be added/removed and
does so using these new commands.

> I have the summer to work on it and don't need any resources.
> If this would be useful to you and in line with project plans, please
> let me know!

This would be very useful. I have another student from MIT interested in
developing plugins for StarCluster that would be included in the main
distribution. Perhaps since you close by you'd be interested in meeting
up with us to discuss StarCluster plans for development?

Thanks for your interest!

~Justin