StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: [Starcluster] NumPy and SciPy tests fail on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic

From: Justin Riley <no email>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 14:43:28 -0400

Hi Andrew,

> Justin, you could use stdeb to custom install Python packages (e.g.
> numpy/scipy) while letting dpkg know about it -- thus preventing
> clobbering between dpkg and distutils. See
> http://github.com/astraw/stdeb . Hopefully it's pretty straightforward
> to use.

Ahhh that's very handy. Similar to gpypi in Gentoo. Thanks for the link and
for creating it :D

I do have dpkgs for the custom openmpi installation, however, apt-get still
wants to override my custom packages installed via "dpkg -i" when doing apt-
get update. Do you know how to fix that? Seems like something trivial I'm
missing.

I'll give stdeb a shot and hopefully create some custom numpy/scipy debs for
the ami. However, the harder package to customize I suspect will be lapack
which is pretty much the entire reason for custom compiling numpy/scipy debs
in the first place. I noticed you have or had a repo for ubuntu numpy/scipy
(from http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Linux). Did your packages use the
default debian lapack?

Thanks again for informing me of stdeb!

~Justin