StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: [Starcluster] Spot instances

From: Justin Riley <no email>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:20:26 -0400

Hi Joonas,

The development code in github for the next version can use spot
instances provided that you launch them manually.

The next version of starcluster makes this possible because of the fact
that it relies on creating/using security groups for accounting.

By default StarCluster creates a security group for all starcluster
master nodes called _at_sc-masters. When you launch a cluster, say called
'mycluster', StarCluster creates a new security group called
_at_sc-mycluster. It then runs the master and assigns it to both
_at_sc-masters and @sc-mycluster security groups and then runs the rest of
the nodes, assigning them only to _at_sc-mycluster.

So, with the new version, you can manually create a _at_sc-mycluster
security group, launch your instances by adding the master to both the
_at_sc-masters AND @sc-mycluster security groups and then launching the
rest of the nodes in the _at_sc-mycluster security group only. Starcluster
will then be able to launch using these instances, provided they're in a
pending/running state, by running the following:

$ starcluster start -x smallcluster mycluster

This will then skip requesting new instances and wait for all existing
instances in the _at_sc-mycluster group to come up and it will continue on
normally from there.

Does this make sense? I will document this in the next version. If
you're interested in using the development version you will find docs
for the new config in the github code (starcluster/docs/sphinx/*.rst).

Hope that helps,

~Justin