StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: [Starcluster] failed installing Sun Grid Engine...

From: Dan Yamins <no email>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:46:14 -0400

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:15 PM, chuan gao <aggie.gao_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using the standard AMI
> the OS is ubuntu 9.10
> yes. I can ssh into AMI with no problem. actually, the error occured at the
> last step when it is configuring NFS. I checked the AMI on amazon and they
> have been started. and my permanent volume has been mounted.
> concerning the error,
> build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/paramiko/sftp_client.py
>

> I looked into directory StarCluster-0.90.1/build/bdist.linux-i686 and
> nothing is there. should there be egg/paramiko/sftp_client.py ?

You mean, in the build directory, after the install is complete? Well, in
the equivalent on my machine, no, there's nothing in there after the process
is done. But this shouldn't matter, since unless you're planning to run
starcluster directly from the build directory, it shouldn't matter what's
in there. However, it looks from your error trace like the system
*is*looking in the build directory for binaries. There are two
reasons why
this could be the case:

      1) something went wrong during the build process and the linking was
done incorrectly.

      2) you're running "starcluster" command from _inside_ the build
directory, and as a result, you end up confusing the Python package
importer.

In the case of 1): how are you doing the installation, exactly? When you
do the install, what kind of output do you see? (run your install in the
"debug" mode). During installation on my machine, I get output like this:

  Installed
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/StarCluster-0.90-py2.6.egg
  Processing dependencies for StarCluster==0.90
  Searching for paramiko==1.7.6
  Best match: paramiko 1.7.6
  Processing paramiko-1.7.6-py2.6.egg
  paramiko 1.7.6 is already the active version in easy-install.pth

In the case of 2), just see what happens if you shut down yoru AMI instances
and try the "starcluster" command again, from outside the build directory,
which you should probably just delete. Unless you're explicitly _planning_
to run your installed version directly from your build directory? That
would be a non-standard way to run things. I don't know what what happen
if I did that on my machine, I've never tried it since it's generally bad
practice to try that if you're using a module that links to external
packages.

HTH,
Dan