StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: [Starcluster] WebFeedback - cluster: Is it possible to create EBS volume based on snapshot ... [help.mit.edu #1114722]

From: Justin Riley <no email>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 13:37:22 -0500

Hi Gen-tao,

I get what you're saying now and for the current stable version of StarCluster
the short answer is: No. However, I'm currently working on the next version of
StarCluster and I will provide a way at the command line for creating new EBS
volumes (same as ElasticFox does). I hadn't thought about creating EBS volumes
from snapshots but this is of course a good idea that I will likely use in the
next version of StarCluster.

Using a flag in the config (ie SNAPSHOTID="xxxx") though is not the best
solution for this because then I would have no way of knowing whether a EBS
volume had been created in the past for that SNAPSHOTID or not. And even if I
could, how would I know which volume you meant to use since multiple ebs
volume could have been created from that snapshot id? Or does the flag mean
always create a new volume (which i can't see the benefit of and costs money)?
There's far too much ambiguity and in any event wouldn't be straight forward
for the user.

A better way to do this would be to have you explicitly tell starcluster at
the command line that you want to create a new volume (from snapshot id):

ie.

$ starcluster createvolume --snapshotid xxxx --size 10
$ ....
$ ...
$ Your new EBS volume ID is: xxxxxxx

Then you would explicitly specify the new volume id in the config the way it
is now. This is likely how I will implement this in the next version.

This is how you will be able to create EBS volumes in the next version.
However, this can be done manually with the current stable version of
StarCluster. Simply use ElasticFox to create a new EBS volume from a snapshot
(as i described in the previous email) and then use the new EBS volume id in
your StarCluster config. Does that make sense?

I will announce the next version on the starcluster mailing list (cc'd on this
email):

BTW, you have joined the mailing list right?

Hope this helps,

~Justin