StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: [Starcluster] EC2 AMI creation

From: Justin Riley <no email>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:01:24 -0500

Mark,

All this stuff will change to a better system in the next version.

The host number is the number on the left of the list of instances when
running starcluster -l:

$ starcluster -l
StarCluster - (http://web.mit.edu/starcluster)
Author: justin.t.riley 'at' gmail 'dot' com
Please submit bug reports to starcluster 'at' mit 'dot' edu

>>> EC2 Instances:
[0] ec2-174-129-113-176.compute-1.amazonaws.com running (ami-0330d16a)
[1] ec2-75-101-202-225.compute-1.amazonaws.com running (ami-0330d16a)

The bucket is essentially a folder in s3 that the image will be stored under.
You can learn more about this by reading the AWS Getting Started Guide:

http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSEC2/2009-11-30/GettingStartedGuide/

Specifically this page describes rebundling an EC2 image:

http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSEC2/2009-11-30/GettingStartedGuide/index.html?creating-
an-image.html

It's useful to read through this stuff to be familiar with the concepts. The
create_image.py script is basically doing all of the image rebundling work for
you.

BTW, this list IS a mailman list. We do have archives but we haven't had many
posts given that this is a relatively new list:

http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/private/starcluster/

You must join the list before you can look at the archives.

Hope that helps!

~Justin