StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Is StarCluster still under active development?

From: Rajat Banerjee <no email>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 23:37:18 -0400

Hi Tony,
Interesting findings. Yes that does seem like a bug with polling_interval.
All of the logic to make a load balancing decision is done
in _eval_add_node and doesn't consider average job duration. It was a
design decision at the time: look at the queue and current slot count to
see if throughput meets the parameter longest_allowed_queue_time, or
whether we should try to predict job durations. We surveyed some of the
most active users at that time and most said their job sizes were varying
and unpredictable and not amenable to 'prediction'. So we went with the
former.

Thanks for sharing your findings, but I'm not sure why you seem cranky that
the ELB isn't meeting your predictive load balancing needs and has some
bugs in unused code? It's open source for a reason, so people can adapt and
improve it.
best,
Raj