StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Mounting EBS volumes

From: Ryan G <no email>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 14:02:36 -0400

I'm playing around with using StarCluster and different AMIs. One of the
things I've noticed is that EBS volumes don't get mounted where expected.
For instance, my config file specifies something like:

[volume biodata]
# attach vol-c9999999 to /home on master node and NFS-shre to worker nodes
VOLUME_ID = vol-c999999
MOUNT_PATH = /home

StarCluster then tries to attach the volume at /dev/sdz, But ends up giving
the error "Cannot find device /dev/xvdz". When I log in, I see the volume
got attached to /dev/xvdaz.

I can either modified my copy of StarCluster to correct for this, but I
think a better solution would be to be able to specified the block device:

[volume biodata]
# attach vol-c9999999 to /home on master node and NFS-shre to worker nodes
VOLUME_ID = vol-c999999
MOUNT_PATH = /home
BLOCK_DEVICE = /dev/xvdaz

This way, the user can control where the mount is happening and expected.

Thoughts?