StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Easy way to delete more than 100k jobs

From: Jacob Barhak <no email>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 06:33:09 -0600

Hi Lyn, Hi Rayson,

You were trying to help, however, I described the problem insuficiently.

I just isolated the issue. It seems the problem is not the number of jobs.
It is the use of job dependencies with wildcard in name with the -hold_jid
option.

For example launching 10k jobs named A0000 to A9999 and then 10k jobs named
B0000 to B9999 each depending on "A*" then the system should become
unstable. However, if each job in B depends on "A0000" and several other A
jobs named explicitly without the windcard character, then SGE does not
have any issues.

I assume that when deleting the jobs, SGE tries to recalculate all jobs
depending on the related job. In the example above for each one of the 10k
A jobs deleted, the system recalculates the list of 10k dependencies for
each of the 10k jobs. This is a fair assumption considering the tests I
made. However, I did not look at SGE code to confirm my assumption is
correct. Perhaps one of the experts can verify this?

In any case, I recommend avoiding using wildcard dependencies on job names
unless absolutely necessary. In the future, perhaps qdel * can start
removing jobs according to dependency tree or recalculate dependencies once
after all deletions took place.

I hope this will help someone avoid pitfalls in the future.

            Jacob