StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: Creating a StarCluster AMI

From: MacMullan, Hugh <no email>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 18:46:13 +0000

Hi Everyone:

The old (and a couple of newer) 'cookbooks' are on the StarCluster GitHub wiki, at https://github.com/jtriley/StarCluster/wiki. You could probably put together a newer 'cookbook' from those.

But basically:

GE (OGS) in /opt/sge6-fresh. Creating CentOS 7 (and maybe 6.5?) I needed to get the latest binary version from http://sourceforge.net/projects/gridscheduler/files/ ... there's probably a compat-glibc workaround, but ... that was simple enough. Just untar/gz and move the newly-created directory to /opt/sge6-fresh.

Root key access needs to be enabled, as well, so /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg needs to have 'disable_root: false'. /etc/ssh/sshd_config should have 'PermitRootLogin without-password'.

For the portmap issue in more recent versions of Ubuntu & RedHat/CentOS it's a pretty simple fix:

echo 'exit 0' > /etc/init.d/portmap
chmod +x /etc/init.d/portmap

That gets the NFS working, assuming that the standard NFS server software is installed.

Beyond that, it just depends what you're doing with your cluster. If you're doing MPI, you'll need that. I think the OEM packages (CentOS/RedHat & Ubuntu) versions work with SGE now (compiled with '--with-sge').

I recently (last night, actually!) took the Official StarCluster Ubuntu 12.04 HVM AMI and did 'do-release-upgrade' from an imagehost. Don't forget to 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade' first. A bunch of packages had issues, but just removing and re-installing the whole set of them (maybe 20) seems to have worked fine, and got me straight to 14.04, with Enhanced Networking, although the latest driver doesn't work on 14.04 (14.04 was called 'too new' by the developers of the ixgbevf driver. :)

I've also recently created CentOS 6.5 & RHEL 7 AMIs, all HVM images, with the Enhanced Networking attribute set (what I was really after here). If anyone is interested in package lists or further details for any of that stuff, feel free to let me know. Still working on documents.

-Hugh