StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: writing plugins

From: Dmitry Serenbrennikov <no email>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 19:43:04 +0000

Hi Adam,
Thanks for sharing the code!
I didn't know about node.ssh.remote_file(). That's really handy!

I ended up coding something myself as well, but I wanted to avoid the need for my workstation to have validation.pem on it.
So I found that I can ssh to a machine on our network that does have it and then use knife bootstrap from it.
I'm new to chef and not sure what makes for better setup. Validation.pem anyhow seems to end up widely shared, so it's hard to call it a "private" key...

One thing didn't find a good solution for is implementing sensible behavior on "starcluster stop" vs. "starcluster terminate". It appears that a plugin can't tell the difference between the two.
If the node is terminated, I would want to remove the client and probably the node from the chef server. But if I do that, then on "stop" I end up invalidating the client and on "start -x" it is not recognized.
I noticed that your plugin doesn't implement any of this either, or am I mistaken?

Is the recommended practice to fully delete everything and then re-provision as if it's a fresh start even on "start -x"?

Thanks very much for any advice!
-Dmitry?