StarCluster - Mailing List Archive

Re: StarCluster Development VPC-Starclusters - possible bug relating to "Tag Value exceeds 255 characters"....

From: Jennifer Staab <no email>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:51:34 -0500

Thanks for getting back to me. I added the email below as a comment on the
github track: https://github.com/jtriley/StarCluster/issues/348
----------------------------------
I think I figured out the problem and I have a solution that works for
creating a starcluster under the VPC BUT you can't change its attributes
after creation other than doing a force termination.

Starcluster works in EC2-Classic because they don't limit the Tag Values to
a certain size, but with EC2-VPC Tag Values are limited to size 255
characters. I think this was discussed before if you use the following link
https://github.com/jtriley/StarCluster/issues/21 and search for words “3)
StarCluster + VPC limitation:" you can read more about this issue.

Basically the _at_sc-core Tag's value can be greater than 255 characters in
length, if this is the case then Starcluster software will fail to create a
cluster under the VPC. This is why for my one AMI (had _at_sc-core Tag value
less than 255 characters) I could successfully create a starcluster under
the VPC, but for all other AMI's I wasn't able to.

Temporary Solution:
1 ) Locate the .../starcluster/cluster.py file and open it up in your
favorite editor
2) Go to line 681 this should be the first line of the method
"_add_tags_to_sg" and it should have following text "def
_add_tags_to_sg(self, sg):"
3) The value for 'static.CORE_TAG' is the Tag Name '_at_sc-core' and it's
value is 'core_settings'. The issue occurs in adding this Tag with line
698 'sg.add_tag(static.CORE_TAG, core_settings)'. If the value of
'core_settings' is greater than 255 then this is where the program fails.
 Add the following 3 lines of code (indicated by (+)) between lines 697 'if
not static.CORE_TAG in sg.tags:' and 698 'sg.add_tag(static.CORE_TAG,
core_settings)'
-------------------------------- Code Change
697 if not static.CORE_TAG in sg.tags:
698(+) if(len(core_settings) > 255):
699(+) print "\nWarning: For ", static.CORE_TAG, " truncating
core_settings from ", len(core_settings), " to length 255."
700(+) core_settings=core_settings[:255]
701 sg.add_tag(static.CORE_TAG, core_settings)
-------------------------------- Code Change

WARNING - there are implications of making this code change. In doing so
you will not be able to change the cluster other than a forced termination
IF the core_settings value was truncated (warning appears during creation).

Seems like the _at_sc-core Tag holds cluster settings for a cluster that have
been serialized and then compressed and the tag value is that compressed
value. Truncating this value allows you to create a cluster BUT you can't
change attributes once it is created because the software needs a
non-truncated value to link back to the cluster (I think?).

Once up and running the cluster runs fine, but ultimately for Starcluster
to work consistently with EC2-VPC the code would need to be changed as to
limit the _at_sc-core value to only 255 characters or fewer. Maybe
eliminating some of the options in the core tag, better compression
algorithm, or ?? might be an easy fix to keep from having to do a big
re-write of the code. My temporary solution works for a 'static' cluster
under the VPC.

Thanks,
-Jennifer